Monday, December 14, 2009

Nothing much has been going on in the past week, I’ve sent out a couple of resumes. We’ve narrowed down destinations to Montevideo Uruguay, or several cities on the northern coast of Chile: Antofagasta, La Serena or Concepion. Of course there are some cities in Bolivia: La Paz, Cochabamba, or maybe Sucre, but we are focusing more on beaches right now. It’s been slow moving since we don’t have a great internet connection no matter where we go with free wi-fi, and it’s getting the fact that our schedule is so different from regular business hours it’s complicated. I’m guessing that drinking coffee at 1 am isn’t really helping, so this week I’m going to try to start getting into a regular sleeping pattern that doesn’t include waking up half way through the day. The whole household is getting excited about Christmas, especially the candy and sweets aspect! I am definitely missing Kali’s ginger snap cookies right now… we’ve been planning parts to the menu, and Jason’s girlfriend is coming down so we are thinking up things to remember to ask her to bring. Kentucky Gentlemen is on the list because I am going to attempt to make bourbon balls, I’ll keep everyone posted on how terrible they turn out. We have also been making some additions to the tree. Terry’s mum sent a card with some Merry Christmas confetti, and we put most of it on the tree, it adds some really nice reflection and color, and then Terry drew a Santa drinking Pisco for our tree topper, it looks great. I’ve been busy this weekend doing lesson plans because…. Drum roll please… I GOT A JOB! It starts tonight, I’ll be teaching a doctor couple at this nice clinic in Cusco the English that they need to know to deal with tourist patients as well as basic English because they don’t speak at all. It’ll pay about 9 dollars an hour which isn’t bad, but it doesn’t matter, I’m just excited about having a job, getting some more practice, and boosting my resume un poco. It’s strange having to make my own curriculum for these clients, as well as learning more about doctors vocabulary than I’m comfortable with. I’m already kind of nervous about teaching in a manner I am completely not used to, and on top of that having to teach information I have no clue about! I haven’t the foggiest about what doctors have to say to patients, I can’t even remember the last time I went to the doctors! EEK. So, I’ve been looking at charts of organs to help illustrate the vocab because the husband is a surgeon; it’s just gross. Not to mention a pain in the ass to find the information that I want. Why is google search failing me now?! Maybe it will be more advantageous than I think, overall, in the long run. It’ll also be fun to dress up and walk around in business clothes like all the other Peruvians. However I did walk back from the interview in cute flats and got these two wicked blisters on my heels. And then proceeded to make them bleed by going out Saturday night in HighTops, so I am bound to my flip flops for now. I am forever grateful to Onja right now! They have been a lifesaver for me! Unfortunately the pharamacies here don’t have moleskin, so I’m stuck with these cheap looking bandaids. I’m just not going to wear them unless I’ve absolutely GOT to. I've gotta run and finish up my last minute lesson plans for tonight! Procrastination is my best attribute?
hugs, and LOVE!

No comments: